WASHINGTON – The US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) today announced the implementation of federal disaster assistance for areas of New Hampshire state affected by severe storm and flooding from July 29 to 30, 2021.

On October 4, President Biden issued a declaration of major disaster for Cheshire and Sullivan counties, allowing HUD to offer assistance to affected families living in those counties. Federal funding is also available on a cost-sharing basis for state-wide risk mitigation measures. Effective immediately, the HUD is:

• Provide immediate relief from foreclosures – HUD’s automatic 90-day moratorium on foreclosures of Federal Housing Administration (FHA) insured mortgages began on the date of the Presidential Declaration of Major Disaster, and mortgage foreclosures to Native American borrowers secured under the Section 184 Indian Home Loan Guarantee Program. For assistance, call your loan officer or the FHA Resource Center at 1-800-304-9320.

• Make Mortgage Insurance Available – HUD’s Section 203 (h) program provides FHA insurance to disaster victims whose homes have been destroyed or damaged to such an extent that reconstruction or replacement is necessary and ‘they are faced with the difficult task of rebuilding or buying another house. Borrowers from participating FHA Approved Lenders are eligible for 100 percent financing, including closing costs.

• Make insurance available for mortgages and home improvement – HUD’s Section 203 (k) loan program allows those who have lost their homes to finance the purchase or refinance of a home as well. that its repair through a single mortgage. It also allows homeowners who have damaged homes to finance the rehabilitation of their existing single-family home.

• Information Sharing on Housing Providers and HUD Programs – The Department will share information with FEMA and the state on housing providers that may have units available in affected counties. This includes public housing agencies and multi-family landlords. The Department will also connect FEMA and the state with subject matter experts to provide information on HUD programs and providers.

• Provide flexibility for beneficiaries of community planning and development – Recipients of the Community Development Block Grants Program (CDBG), the Housing Opportunities Program for People Living with HIV / AIDS (HOPWA), the Continuity of Care Program (CoC), Emergency Solutions Grant Program (ESG), HOME Program and Housing Trust Fund (HTF) funds may request the administrative flexibility needed in response to natural disasters. For more information on requesting a waiver, contact your local Planning and Community Development program office. Contact details can be found here.

• Provide flexibility to public housing authorities – Public housing authorities can request the necessary administrative flexibility through disaster exemptions. For detailed information on claiming a waiver, click here for the latest Federal Register Disaster Relief Notice guidelines. The ministry also released PIH Notice 2021-14, which allowed administrative flexibilities to waive or establish alternative requirements for many legal and regulatory requirements for various public housing programs. As a reminder, to be eligible for a disaster waiver, the PHA must be located in an active zone declared by the President in the event of a major disaster (MDD) and submit a waiver within four months of a disaster.

• Make sure HUD-approved housing counseling agencies are ready to help – HUD-approved housing counseling agencies have counselors available to assist those affected by natural disasters to determine the housing needs. support and available resources. Find a HUD-approved housing counseling agency.

• Housing discrimination assistance – Housing discrimination sometimes occurs when people try to find and access housing following a disaster. HUD’s Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity Office is available to help people who believe they have experienced housing discrimination. If you believe your rights have been violated, you should file a Fair Housing complaint with the US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). You can file a complaint by calling HUD at 1-800-669-977 or by visiting How to File a Complaint on the HUD website. Materials and help are available for those with limited English proficiency. People who are deaf or hard of hearing can contact the ministry by using the Federal Relay Service at 1-800-877-8339. You should file a complaint with HUD as soon as possible. HUD may not be able to help you if your complaint is filed more than a year after the last discrimination. You can also file a complaint with a state or local fair housing agency.


Join the thousands of people who already receive our daily newsletter.

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.